Thursday, April 8, 2010

Seriously?


I got a lecture from the hair stylist today. It feels funny to say that I even have a "hair stylist", which may give way to part of the issue. I had a little giggle at the fact that she felt the need to tell me she was "not a fan" of my current hair color. True, I am not a "fan" either, however, it's my head right? Does a profession allow you the right to be overly opinionated to your clients? And what is it in us all that feels the need to "educate" one another on such topics? (we all have a degree of this!)


I realize that my hair is a strange bleached out color. I know it needs to be colored, and I will have my two hour encounter with chemicals soon. However, I am planning on being in Costa Rica for a week, and the summer is coming; a nice, long, UVA ray filled San Diego Summer (Praise God!) Who in their right mind would shell out the money to get her hair dyed now? I may as well give daily to the man on the corner with the sign that says, "I'll be honest, I just need a beer". So today, with that conclusion in mind, I only got a cut. I could tell by the twisted expression on her face, (and the sarcastic joke she made about stalking me in my sleep with hand full of dye) that she royally disapproved. Instead of being put out by her response, I put myself in her shoes....at least I tried.


I came to the conclusion today that it is a matter of passions. I like being a girl, I actually more so love it really. However, I am not overly "girly". My hair is not a preferred color right now, but that is straight up nature and my love of the sun. So the root issue to the odd color, is my passion of being outdoors (not to mention I found a hairdryer a few years ago, and then came product. That stuff really isn't overrated.)


Whereas my stylist's passion is hair, my passion is teaching. This made me think, how many times have I verbally questioned God about His method of choosing parents? Many times. I have also been short with parents in response to their outward naivety and carelessness, done uninvited house visits, and have been quoted to have actually said, "Come on! Seriously?" to a parent at a conference. So yes, there is my introverted outward response that is related to my passion, one that may not be someone else's. So I guess I may have made my "clients" feel like they were not doing their "job" either.


Whether it be taking care of one's hair, or child's reading ability, we all have different things we are specialized in, and it relates to our interests. I find this one of the greatest mysteries of God. How does He do that? How does He keep track of everyone and what they like to do? How does He make it all work? Just like we all need to read, we need things like getting our hair cut. Stretching it a bit I realize, it really feels great when you read and learn and it feel great to get your hair cut and even rejuvenated with a little boost of color. Both are confidence caffeine.


The day ended and my hair is still currently the bleached out color it was in High School. But the cut feels great, and after pondering this a greater portion of the day, I no longer am offended at the fact that I was lectured about the importance of caring for my hair with appropriate color maintenance. That's her passion, her art. I am thankful for her passion, for she even styles the back right. (Who wants a screwed up haircut in the back?) I am thankful that God gave us all different passions. I think that I need to be more aware of what people do, how they do it, and the different ways they approach their passions. It's another way of seeing the mystery of God.


We are all puzzle pieces. Some odder shaped than others, but equally important to the bigger picture. It's amazing picture, I can feel it all the way through my bones to the tips of my awkwardly colored hair.

2 Comments:

At April 9, 2010 at 2:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Recognize the passion in others...I like that! From now on when you get irritated with me I can say, "It's my passion". Will you listen? Will you care about my passion? Are you still irritated that I brought you strawberries and a blender, even though you hate strawberries and all ready had a blender? I was thinking of you and want you to be as healthy as possible. My passion is health through nutrition, not medicine. FRUIT is God's medicine, learn to like it! It's my passion! If you check out an ORAC list you will see the most potent are spices, herbs, cocoa, fruit;especially berries, nuts, beans, and eventually down the list is vegetables. It's my passion! Smoothie it up baby and you'll have even more beautiful hair, even without the chemical color :)

 
At April 10, 2010 at 12:57 PM , Blogger Lilly Underfoot said...

Oh My Gosh!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home